Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I decided that I should start to keep my blog up again. I have read so many interesting articles and blogs lately, and it has inspired me to keep up on my own. Some of the best and objective news I see comes from blogs and NPR; they really connect people to other people. Most of the media really see the world in a pessimistic spectrum. There is a lot to be sad about, but because humans are inherently good, we can all still find interesting and wonderful things to learn. My title that I created as a 16 year-old will stay as I continue my posts: Always Look Up.


To reintroduce myself, I am now a legal adult attending college pursuing an economics degree. I plan to work my way into business sooner or later. I attend Brigham Young University for college which naturally designates me as a "mormon." I guess I'm more formally a "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." I have to laugh every time I see a performance of "The Book of Mormon" on broadway or any other mormon parody. Let's face it, there are lots of fun idiosyncrasies about mormons, and bravo to all those who found the market and made money off of it.
I consider myself independent but I tend to favor the more conservative base. However, there are plenty on both sides who both get it right, and more who get it completely wrong. 



I like soccer, tennis, frisbee, Jazz music, and reading non-fiction. I have a bad tv watching habit as of late, and I think I could go back to more outdoor activities. Any questions?




Jeff, a character from Community (NBC) said ,"Helping ourselves is bad, and helping each other is good...just stop thinking about whats good for you and start thinking about what's good for someone else." Now, I think its great that we can still watch TV every once in awhile and see a worthwhile message such as Jeff's. The message itself is important, but I think the greater lesson we can take from it is this: Anything can be good and worthwhile as long as we look hard and not give up.


These words are very cliché and deserve to be written on the tab of a fortune cookie. However, the inherent message is true. In TV, the fictitious and unrealistic world of TV, there is still some good life lessons that we should all take to heart. I remember my parents and relatives talking about how innocent the world of TV was. We would watch some of the old black and white shows of the 50's (think "Leave it to Beaver" and "I Love Lucy") and hear about how wonderful the lessons they taught. 


I was born in the 90's and have seen the content on TV change since then. I feel like TV has evolved to take on all of the problems of today. Whether they control today's content or merely cover it, I don't know. However, the unrealistic worlds that were created back in the 50's were about as unrealistic as the sitcoms created today. I hope we recognize that we have to decide what we learn from any TV shows, experiences, or situations. Our personal philosophies are important. However, they are becoming mere whispers in a world where only certain messages are getting louder.

That's why I feel like its important to have blogs, journals, and other personal ways of expressing our views. It keeps from conformity and allows us all to continue to see personal good in the world around us. 


No comments: